A good morning routine is essential for a peaceful and productive day. This routine may include waking up on time, eating a fulfilling breakfast with a cup of chai to awaken the senses, fitness regime and most importantly – good digestion and an effective bowel cleanse and if not – finding suitable home remedies for constipation.
Unfortunately, time and again, we’ve all felt the perils of constipation. It could range from being unable to relieve at all or feeling incomplete after doing so. Fortunately, there are some home remedies to look up to depending on the type of constipation you’re experiencing.
Symptoms like flatulence, stomach ache, bloating, heartburn, acidity usually tag along for the entire day. If the condition persists it can lead to a constant headache, bad breath, eruption of acne and pimples, as well as ulcers in the mouth.
In Ayurveda, an imbalance of tridoshas may lead to any of these conditions and there are easy home remedies for constipation depending on the type:
The cold, dry & hard nature of vata can lead to a dry colon and formation of hard stool, making it difficult to pass and leading to constipation.
Home remedies for constipation due to vata imbalance:
- Eat small meals regularly throughout the day. Avoid cold and dry food.
- Eat warm, heavier food and include ghee in your diet.
- Drink lots of warm water or vata pacifying digestive tea.
- Eat fibrous and hydrating fruits such as bananas, peaches and apples.
- A little exercise is good but do not over-exercise.
Undigested food waste & mucous due to excessive kapha can cause bloating, water retention, fullness and lethargy.
Home remedies for constipation due to kapha imbalance:
- Eat less oily, heavy food and avoid mucous producing food like cheese, sugar, yogurt and bread.
- Take light food such as raw fruits and well cooked vegetables. Eating khichadi is good to promote digestion.
- Exercise vigorously.
Tightness & dryness in the colon can also be caused by excessive heat of pitta dosha.
Home remedies for constipation due to pitta imbalance:
- Avoid hot, spicy and pungent food. Include fresh fruits in your diet.
- Drink cooling beverages like cardamom black tea, lassi, chaas, bel ka sharbat.
- Drink lots of water (minimum of 6-8 glasses everyday).
- Exercise moderately.
For all prakritis, ayurvedic herbs such as Haritaki, Kutaki, Trivrit, Draksha and Svarnapatri used in Colonofly – bowel cleansing decoction constipation syrup – works well as constipation relief. You can use it when you face problems to help regulate your bowel movements.
Tip: Sitting in a squatting position in the morning and having warm water can help stimulate bowel movements.
If you practice these and still feel no relief, there could be some underlying bodily issues involved. You must visit a doctor for prolonged constipation.